The mission of the Woodturners of North Texas is to advance the creative pursuit of woodturning through educational programs, practical demonstrations and community service projects. Personal achievement is encouraged through mentoring, design challenges and member participation.
July 2014 Demo
“Hollow Form Process”
by Dennis Ford
Dennis's Handout - Click Here
I plan on doing a demo on "Hollow Form Process". This will involve mounting a blank between centers, turning a tenon and rough shape. I will put the piece in a chuck, dress up the upper outside and hollow the interior with hand held tooling. To make the process interesting to viewers (and much faster), the blank will have multiple holes drilled in it. Your camera should be able to show the tool inside the hollow form. The lower portion of the outside will be shaped after most of the hollowing is done. I will also bring a blank to make a finial out of in case of enough time for a quick finial.
Next Meeting - July 31th, 2014
MEETING LOCATION AND TIME
The chapter meets on the last Thursday evening of each month from 6:30 - 9:00 PM at the Handley-Meadowbrook Lions Club, 6013 Craig Street, Fort Worth, Texas 76112.
Visitors and guests are always welcome to attend our meetings. The Handley-Meadowbrook Lions Club is about 1.5 miles south of I-30 on I-820 S. exit Craig Street (Exit 30a).
MONTHLY PRESIDENT'S NOTES
President's report for July 2014
- With a few starts and stops it is getting to be summer in Texas and those without air-conditioning in their shops are feeling the heat. I know it is difficult to do any major turning but it is also important to keep up your skills. I have noticed that after a few weeks of surgery recuperation It took me considerable effort to regain my proficiency. So, when it is not too hot, do a little turning every chance you get.
- Congratulations to Bill Boehme. Bill has been chosen as the AAW's Gallery Forum Moderator. I am sure with Bill's design and photo experience he will do a great job.
- We have talked at length about SWAT and now the online registration is ending on July 31st. After that onsite registration is $30 more. There are several new Lead Demonstrators this year that promise to bring some programs we have not seen in the past. If you haven't registered, now is the time. SWAT demonstration rotations are now on line at http://www.swaturners.org/pdfs/Rotation%20Schedule.pdf.
- Don't forget this month's "Bob's Challenge" of turning a lidded vessel. Hopefully you read my email about the changes we are making in the Bring Back and Challenge programs. With the discontinuation of Bring Backs and the enhancement of the Challenge program I anticipate that this will encourage us to make more chips and expand our design and turning skills. Please bear with us during this transition as I am sure we will be making adjustments as necessary.
- James has put a notice in the newsletter about getting our Christmas banquet on your schedule. That is absolutely necessary, but another part of that banquet is our yearly gallery auction. For our new members, this banquet/auction is the "event of the year". It does require all of our participation, so it is time to start thinking about that special piece you are turning to contribute. It is a great feeling to have your turning bid on by fellow club members. This auction provides the major funding for our club.
- See you at 6:30pm Thursday and be safe. We do not need any new “safety coordinators”.
Monthly Bring Back Raffle
Every month at our meeting we have a table to share what we have turned. Tickets are $1. If you win a turned/ unturned item, you are asked to bring a like item to the next meeting you attend.
June 2014 Bring Back Results