Acorn Box Top
The acorn box top is small hollow acorn shaped lidded box that can be spun like a top.
This quick and easy project is fun to do and can have some surprising uses.
- Mount appropriate stock into chuck – a 1” by 6” turning square is adequate
- Face off the end & turn round – 7/8” to begin
- Drill 11/16” hole with forstner bit approximately 3/8” deep
- Turn basic shape, size and wall thickness at the mortise
- Refine outer shape
- Final shaping, sanding, finishing as desired
- Part off to create acorn tip
- This completes the seed portion of the acorn - Repeat process for additional acorns
Once the run of acorn seeds is complete acorn caps can be done by:
- Mount slightly larger stock into chuck turn to largest needed diameter and face off end.
- Turn tenon to fit mortise in seed – sizing may be expedited by using a sharpened wrench
- Turn acorn cap shape and size to fit
- Turn acorn stalk – a smaller diameter here makes for a top which will be easy to spin
- Part off
- Join cap to seed and give it a spin